Tuesday, August 21, 2007

KMFDM IS BACK!!!


MP3: KMFDM - SUPERPOWER

You heard that right! KMFDM is BACK! with their strongest effort in years! This album has instantly become one of my favorites. and thats only after a few listens.

Tohuvabohu was released in the US today on metropolis records. The modern equivalent of Wax Trax. Although I'm not usually interested in much that they release these days. Industrial for the most part is dead IMO. Its a genre of self loathing and self parody. And its just damn depressing. A genre that completly blew my mind as a young teenager discovering music, has turned into an absolute abortion.

There are a few old masters still at work. KMFDM, Ministry, Skinny Puppy, Einsturzende Neubauten and dare I say... Nine Inch Nails? But even in recent years, some of these past geniuses (I wont mention which ones) have caused me to wonder if it was time for even them to hang up the sequencer and.. er.. manipulated vacuums and drum machines...

I will be honest when I say that I had given up completely on KMFDM. their last couple studio albums left MUCH to be desired. with the loss of Raymond Watts, Skold (who left to produce and play bass for the always ridiculous Manson) and before that En Esch... this new band that Kaptn 'K' had put together... while technically impressive with their playing ability... They just didnt strike a real chord with me.

I felt like I was listening to the same metal rock record over and over. which isn't unnecessarily a bad thing... It just seemed either forced, or careless. I cant be sure. Either way, after two albums of that, I had lost interest.

Enter Tohuvabohu. the latest effort by Kaptn K. and his Krew. Featuring the Lovely LUCIA and ex members of PIG (Who's presence is still missing on this record) This record gives me hope for industrial music once again. It seems to be mix between the SYMBOLS album and WWIII. two albums that I absolutely adored. Lucia obviously has a bit more influence in the structure of the songs written, its obvious... however they are all still very classic KMFDM. this is the album that should have been released after WWIII. Its got those classic dance floor metal beats backing Sascha's tounge in cheek self proclaiming God of Industrial/Political movement lyrics.

The opening track is very reminiscent of early to mid 90's work. opening with a funky bass line, and a full horn section, Complete with a sax solo that would make Mr. Reznor blush. I actually smiled when i first heard that bass line kick in. I knew I was in for something special.

The rest of the album follows suit nicely. jumping directly into full on industrial chaos that KMFDM is so loved for. Sascha and Lucia trade vocals off and on throughout the album as was expected. Its interesting to hear them interact as husband and wife after a few years of marriage and touring and recording together. Maybe that explains why this album is a return to form. Maybe they are finally truly comfortable with each other. Who knows? Regardless, the album continues on to impress me with a mixture of familiarity as well as new rhythms and concepts. I'm not exagerating when I say that I got excited and had chills when I listened to this record for the first time. And even now as I type this review.

Dont get me wrong. This album doesn't sound like a rehash of anything theyve already done. It just sounds like the old Kaptn is back in top form, after a few years of... well I don't know what that was... maybe he was listening to allot of Rammstein or something. I don't know. But I'm glad he's moved on.

This album is amazing. Its out today. Go Buy it. You can listen to some more tracks on their myspace page as well.

I just have one request for the band...

PLEASE BRING RAYMOND BACK!!! that old swine is all alone out there. and he truly brought an amazing dynamic to the albums as well as the live shows. Thats my ONLY complaint on with this album. No Watts.

Still all in all, even without Raymond. I give the record 4 1/2 out of 5 stars.


I've never actually given anything stars before. I should start doing that. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't get this album off of repeat.
I HAVE to see this performed live, or else.

I second that motion: KMFDM I adore this album, but I miss Raymond.

P.S. Dave this blog of yours never let me leave comments before, let's see if it works this time lol.