Thursday, June 14, 2007

I should have known...


I know I said I would be updating alot over the last week... I know I dropped the ball on that one... But I'm in the process of moving up to tahoe in a couple of weeks, and well... its pretty time consuming getting everything in order.

So I decided that to make up for my lack of updates... I would reward you, my lovely readers. With something that I guarantee you havent heard ANYWHERE else. How can I make this guarantee? well, Its a recording that only I own...

Last year, I booked a show that consisted of Modwheelmood, Mellowdrone and Monsters are waiting. I recorded the entire show. and due to recent demand... I have decided to share the Modwheelmood portion of the show with you all this evening.

If youre not familiar with MWM, shame on you. MWM is the main project of Nine Inch Nails keyboardist; Allesandro Cortini. Yes you read that right. The MAIN project. Nine Inch Nails is Ally's side project.

I was really suprised when I first heard Modwheelmood. My first Allesandro experience was at a live NIN show, on the 2005 with teeth tour. I mean here was a guy that was pounding on these odd synths that I had never seen before, with as much aggression as you would imagine from a NIN keyboardist. fast forward a few months later, when I managed to track down a copy of MWM's album; Enemies and Immigrants. only to realise that this man has a soft... albeit complex, side. My interest was captured and I became a fan. shortly after that, I approached Monsters are Waiting's booking agency about doing a show in Fresno. They said they were in the process of booking a mini tour with Modwheelmood and Mellowdrone (another one of my interests at the time) and that they would love to play a show in Fresno.

So that set the events into motion. I was ecstatic. I was booking 3 totally amazing bands. the likes of which Fresno's underground had never seen before, and one of those bands was the project of Nine Inch Nails keyboardist.

Anyway, I wont go into all of the details of the entire evening, because I'm sure you dont want to read all of that (and it mostly consists of 3 very cool bands playing dodgeball behind the venue..) But Lets just say, that I've still got the best mental image of Allesandro and my dad drinking a beer together, talking about the things I was doing in Fresno, and how proud my dad should be of me. I wish my batteries hadnt died on my camera at that point. Would have been one of the coolest pictures ever.

The show consisted of 3 people, A bassist. a guitarist and Allesandro on his knees for the entire performance twiddling knobs on an unknown synth, some effects processors and an iPod for a backing track. They blew threw a set which included almost the entire Enemies and Immigrants EP. as well as a pretty awesome cover of Depeche Mode's HOME. All in all, a really cool minimal electronic / acoustic set of music.

From what I hear, the full length album is supposed to be released in August of this year. So here's hoping!!!


Without further ado. Here is the entire ModwheelMood set from that evening...

(Unfortunatly, somehow the levels got pushed up a bit on the last track. so there's a little distortion there. Its still certainly listen able, however)

MP3: Money For Good
MP3: Delay Lama
MP3: As I Stand Here
MP3: Home
MP3: Yesterday
MP3: Things Will Change

8 comments:

Eenie Meenie Records said...

He's a liar. I've had it for months.

Dave said...

shhh. I forgot about you.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing! Where was this show at?

jentwo said...

Dave forgets about a lot of people, apparently.

Tamna Hatchwell said...

Thanks for sharing these. I can't wait for their album!

Alias Grace said...

Thanks for these!

Dave said...

This is awesome , I've been following this band since Pearls volume 1 came out.

Really glad to see this Ally is one of my favorite muscians. Hope their fanbase grows with the release of volume 3 this June!

thanks again for these!

Dave said...

You're welcome everyone!